^^ my nAme is YonglE ^^
Recently, due to the new work environment and nature of my job, I need to do a whole lot of self-introduction. As usual, a lot of them dunno how to pronounce or remember my name. Some even ask me whether I have a Christian name or not. Haf, but I dun wan tell u lehz, my Chinese name so difficult to remember mehz?
More often than not, people will always remember my name as Tong Le, I really dunno why as I couldn’t see the link. Last time when I was in STE, that stupid Andy Bek aso always call me Tong Le, except that I always act blur and dun answer and walked away. Actually he knew my name de but he just like to change my name to Tong Le. Dunno y.
Then the other day, when one of my supplier called me, he addressed me as Tong Le again! Agggrrr.Y that name so bloody famous huh? Ok la, I corrected him and he got my name rite after that. Then today, while in the pantry, the manager of the business development of my company ask me the same question again! I was drinking water while he asked the question and I nearly puke out the water.
And also, the name that he mistaken me for is also TONG LE! Ahhhhhh….I’m YONGLE la. Not Tong Le. Den out of curiosity, I asked him how come he tot I was Tong Le and u noe wat he told me? That’s because there’s a restaurant name Tong Le. No the wonder la, people keep remembering Tong Le and mistake my name for that. That restaurant super successful, so many people remember and some more mistake my name for that. Haha Anyway, I think I’m used to it le. Soon, everyone will remember my name and if u r of Chinese race, I think its even more easy to remember my name cuz of the meaning to this name – Always happie(loosely translated)
I remember Hui Ling once told me a joke that when her bf first saw her at work and asked for her name and after she told him, den he asked her whether she has a Christian name she gave a nasty answer and make him shut up for a while. I think he mentioned something like he have got difficulties in remembering Chinese names when he is a Chinese himself.
So Hui Ling asked the colleague besides her to come out with a Russian name for her and that would be her Christian name. You see, the point is, although Russian names is aso make up of the alphabets, but the arrangement seems so alien to us and aso makes it difficult to pronounce. So she told him that either he remember her Chinese name or called her by the Russian name. Haha That gal is damn cool I tell u. I think because of this, it left a deep impression of her in him ba. Hahaha
Anyway my point is, nowadays, I do not tell people my Christian name le. I make it a point to stick to my Chinese name and unless its for informal things like survey den I would give Christian name. Haha when I was younger, maybe due to peer pressure or wat so ever, I also got a Christian name which not many of my friends after my poly days noe. I use to think its more easy to let people remember my name as my Chinese name is a bit not of the norm. But then, slowly, I grew to love my name and also the meaning, and that also proud of it as it’s special. Just the other day, I mentioned to one of my classmates that I haven found someone who I knew who shared the same name as me. Haha he say I was hao lianz but I think I’m not lor. I’m just proud of my name. Haha
Actually I aso dunno from when den I started to stick solely to my Chinese name only but I’m certain when I came out to the society to work, I didn’t tell anyone my Christian name, maintaining the fact that I loved my Chinese name and wanna stick to using it. Haha but sometimes if I use my personal email to send them things, then they will noe cuz of the nick, but still I told them to continue to call me Yongle. So ya, dun ever asked me whether I’ve got a Christian name or not cuz my Chinese name is difficult to remember and plz dun mistake me for some restaurant again. For the last time. My name is Yongle….
Thursday, August 25, 2005
Posted by
Sharon Lee-Tan
at
8:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment